THE HAAS-LILIENTHAL HOUSE
A NATIONAL TREASURE
Designed by architect Peter R. Schmidt for William and Bertha Haas, and constructed in 1886, the 11,500 square foot Haas-Lilienthal House embodies both the ambitious spirit of San Francisco’s pioneers and its grand Victorian-period architecture.
Surviving the 1906 earthquake and fire, it remained in the family until 1973, when the three adult children of the recently deceased Alice Haas-Lilienthal entrusted the House to a new architectural preservation organization, The Foundation for San Francisco's Architectural Heritage (now SF Heritage).
After some preparation, the H-L House eventually became their new headquarters, and they quickly converted it into offices, a house museum featuring docent-led public tours, as well as a sophisticated venue for private events. SF Heritage also developed a highly successful educational program designed for third graders to learn more about architecture, preservation and 19th century living.
Today, this exuberant Queen Anne style home survives as a site of national cultural and architectural significance. In addition to being on the National Register of Historic Places and San Francisco Landmark #69, the House was designated a National Treasure in 2012 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.